If you tamed an animal, and it trusted you, you need to be responsible for it. Your pet’s health is the most important thing to keep an eye on. And so that he is satisfied, happy and not sick – carry out planned prophylaxis against parasites. As you know, they are the main causative agents of various kinds of diseases in animals. Pay attention to the behaviour of, for example, a cat or dog. If your pet begins to itch more often, his coat begins to fade, then you need to use special drops. They kill worms, ticks and other parasites that settle in the body of animals.
Prevention of parasites in pets is called deworming. There are two types of this procedure:
– prophylactic deworming – carried out to prevent the disease on their own at home;
– therapeutic deworming – carried out only under the supervision of a veterinarian who prescribes a treatment regimen suitable for your pet.
The main sources of parasite infestation are:
– a female which was not wormed before mating;
– faeces of other animals;
– homemade or raw food;
– street shoes;
– fleas, mice, birds, etc.
There are many sources of infection with worms even in animals that do not walk on the street, so worms in dogs are no more common than in cats living at home. It is important to remember that the main sources of pet infection are the owners themselves.
How do you know if your dog or cat has parasites? What are the signs of infection? So, the main features are:
– the presence of worms and their larvae in the faeces;
– melena – the appearance of blood in the faeces or a violation of the nature of the stool (constipation or diarrhoea);
– itching in the anus – the animal begins to ride on the priest, runs after the tail;
– excessive appetite with preservation or even decrease in body weight;
– scratching on the body of a non-allergic nature;
– increased lacrimation, prolapse of the third eyelid.
It should be noted that the symptoms of worms in cats are the same as those in dogs.
For primary prevention, be sure to thoroughly wash your shoes after walking. It can accumulate dirt, microorganisms that are harmful to the animal. If you have a child, and you often take him out in a pram, then it is imperative to disinfect the wheels. Once every few days, carry out wet cleaning of the house using a steamer on vacuum cleaners or electric mops.
Another mandatory method is the use of certain antiparasitic drops. They are applied by applying liquid to the bare part of the withers. Then rub it in a circular motion. This procedure should be carried out 2 to 4 times a year.
Simple but effective ways to prevent parasite infestation will allow you to avoid serious consequences for your pet!